Wednesday, May 18, 2011

It's all about the fabric

If you've followed my blog for awhile, you'd know that I don't have a particular type or style of quilt that I couldn't say is uniquely me. That means that I have a stash that has bits of all sorts of fabrics.
It's time I sorted myself out here, I have bins of black and whites, little stacks of designer fabrics, brights, 30's, repros, batiks, Kaffes etc, etc. I've run out of room, eek, that means I might have to stop buying fabric.

I have to show you some of my latest acquisitions though. I thought these would be great for bags or pouches.
Japanese fabrics which have a very unique look to them.
I gravitate towards red and whites and got a pack of small cuts along with the Japanese Giraffes that I had to have 'cause they're too cute.
Random happy ones.
I was excited and thrilled to bits when I won these beauties in a giveaway from Rachael over at Blue Mountain Daisy. They're all Suzuko Koseki fabrics plus one of her books. I've been hankering after some of these fabrics you know.  I love the things that Rachael has on her blog, she makes her mark on everything she does and is very clever with her ideas and puts a lot of thought into her creations.
Another blogger that I love is Kathie from Inspired By Antique Quilts. Kathie was the one that inspired me to start my own blog when I had just barely found out what a blog was. I think it's her fault that I made a little detour into reproduction style quilts and I learnt a lot from her. She and I have kept up the contact and sent each other things from time to time. This is a big stack of 6" squares I received from her last week and are for my little basket blocks. Thanks again Kathie!
I see her as a master of the scrappy quilt, I love them all and they'd be great stash busters. Her latest one would be great in so many different types of fabrics. Go have a look.
On the sewing front, I don't have anything to show, I've been spending a lot of time hand quilting, starting a secret dolly quilt and I finally finished my drawings for the Baltimore borders. I wanted to have the top two corners turning differently and came up with this.
I think it's time I got something organised so I can do a bit more sewing.

26 comments:

liz said...

What a load of gorgeous fabric - maybe you should start a drawer labelled "gorgeous".
I love how your applique border design is turning out. It is interesting to see that you are being so exact with your planning by drawing lines behind the pattern.
Thanks for the interesting links.

Anonymous said...

Love how you have designed the corners, the borders are going to be beautiful.

My stash is a little like yours, are you going to the Sydney Quilt show?

cheers
Christine

Janet said...

I love to see your plans/drawings for your Baltimore border. I can see they will be beautiful!!
You do have a varied stash - with so much variety there's no chance of getting bored :0)

Sue-Anne said...

Love all your fabrics, especially those giraffes, how cute are they!

Mitt lille rosa syrom said...

Love the borders, they will turn out great!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Oooohhh, I'm drooling over your fabrics, especially the newspaper and little giraffes!! And then my name popped up!! Thanks Janet, I feel a little bit famous now. And all those yummy 6 inch squares, precut fabric is so hard not to play with straight away because it's like you're already half way there.

Susan said...

Fabulous fabric acquisitions! A secret doll quilt - how exciting! And your sketch for your borders is wonderful! You can still be busy without actually 'sewing'!

Cardygirl said...

Lots of gorgeous fabric...we can never have too much! Nice hearing about your inspirations and seeing what you are up to.

antique quilter said...

Oh Janet that border is going to be beautiful.
Those Japanese fabrics have me tempted to , the giraffes are just so cute!!!! but the reds and whites call me too and the fabrics with words!
I agree its all about the fabrics, glad I could help you with your basket quilt! I need to get back to mine too!
Thank you! I am so glad you started blogging you have given me so much inspiration...
Kathie

Mary said...

Beautiful fabrics....you have all the fabrics I love and then some! Your sketching is fabulous and the border corners will be so special for this lovely quilt.

Susan said...

Beautiful fabrics! I really can't remember the last time I bought fabric...I have been trying to use what I have on hand, but I'm afraid that there is more in the closet than what I can ever use!

Janet said...

What a lovely array of fabrics.
Not a boring one in the bunch.
I look forward to seeing the border
in fabric.

Barb said...

I loved the different variations of fabrics....

paqui said...

Unas telas preciosas !!!
Esa esquina va a quedar fantástica !!
Espero verla terminada.
Un saludo.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Wow you are a lucky lady! I love the Japanese fabrics, they look like a lot of fun.
Your border is going to be gorgeous. I love the idea of different corners, makes it so much more interesting!

Karen said...

I like the newsprint fabric!

You are so creative when it comes to applique design for your quilts. Your border design will be beautiful.

YankeeQuilter said...

Your quilts and quilt fabrics may not look alike but they all look wonderful!

Lori said...

It's all about variety! Love the different styles and colors of fabric. They are so pretty!

Ann Champion said...

What a fun assortment of fabrics! There are so many wonderful prints available now. You've got to grab them when you can?

I really like the plan for your border. It's going to be beautiful.

How nice of Kathie to send you some fabrics for your baskets. She has quite a stash too! :)

Kim D. said...

I love the variety of fabrics too. Your drawing is just fantastic, can't wait to see the quilt take shape.

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Love all these fabrics Janet, and Kathie's blog is fabulous! xo

Crispy said...

LOVE the fabrics!! I had to laugh at you getting one more shopping spree in before you stop buying fabric LOL.

Wonderful packages you received too :0)

Crispy

Oops-Lah said...

Gorgeous fabrics! Will go over and take a peek at Kathie's blog. And I agree, your Baltimore border is going to be stunning.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh you are so right - it is all about fabric! And I looked for all those "fun" kinds of japanese fabrics when I was over but didn't see any. And baby - do I love that one green one you won! Boy I need to look for some of that!

Nanette Merrill said...

Kathy is great. I love that book.

M and M plus 3 said...

OH my, your drawings for the corner are epic!